Sr. Software Engineer - Perception
Apptronik is building robots for the real world to improve human quality of life and to help solve the ever-increasing labor shortage problem. Our team has been building some of the most advanced robots on the planet for years, dating back to the DARPA Robotics Challenge. We apply our expertise across the full robotics stack to some of the most important and impactful problems our society faces, and expect our products and technology to change the world for the better. We value passion, creativity, and collaboration to help us overcome existing technological barriers in the industry to create truly innovative products.
You will join a team developing a state-of-the-art general-purpose robots designed to operate in human spaces and with human tools. It is designed to work alongside humans, mobilize to human spaces, and manipulate the world around it.
We’re looking for a skilled Sr. Software Engineer - Perception with a good grasp of robotics fundamentals and expertise in perception algorithms and SLAM techniques. You’ll work on our perception team to allow our robots to be aware of their environment and surroundings.
- Developing computer vision algorithms and software for real world applications.
- Research the state-of-the-art SLAM and mapping algorithms and apply excellent algorithm design and programming skills to improve our software.
- Develop software for robot and sensor calibration and system identification.
- Implement, test, and evaluate various state-of-the-art methods used for object recognition, scene segmentation, and semantic labeling.
- Stay abreast of new research and novel findings in the fields of computer vision, SLAM and machine learning.
- Deliver reliable software through code reviews, continuous integration, and automated testing.
- Analyze performance based on simulation and real-world testing.
- Masters in Robotics, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience Software Engineer writing production-quality C++ code in a Linux development environment.
- Experience implementing image processing / computer vision algorithms.
- Hands-on knowledge of data structures and algorithms for point cloud processing and are familiar with ROS, OpenCV and PCL.
- Deep knowledge of 3D scene reconstruction, SLAM, and related subjects.
- Strong theoretical understanding of some significant subset of dynamics, controls, planning, estimation, and linear algebra.
- Experience developing and debugging real-time, multithreaded software systems.
- Rapid, real-world hardware experimentation and troubleshooting abilities.
- Ability to independently research difficult open-ended problems and come to a working solution.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
Nice to have
- Experience with development in Linux.
- Experience with complex robotic systems, especially planning and control for dynamic legged robots in unstructured environments.
- Experience implementing 3D scene reconstruction, Structure from Motion (SFM), SLAM, bundle adjustment, etc.
- Experience in Optimization Frameworks (GTSAM, CERES, g2o, etc)
- General system-level understanding of robotics with ability to communicate between an interdisciplinary team.
- Creative, curious, analytical, and disciplined
- A passion for building things. Fellow tinkerers are encouraged to apply.
- Competitive base w/ benefits
- Highly motivating equity incentive package
- Hybrid work schedule (i.e. work from home in some capacity)
- Flexible work hours policy
- Professional development opportunities
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401k plan
*This is a direct hire. Please, no outside Agency solicitations.
Apptronik provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.