Robotics and Autonomy Engineer II
The ICON technology team is adding a Robotics and Autonomy Engineer to act as a technical expert and designer for the new Strategic R&D team. This team is tasked with looking beyond ICON’s current initiatives, and investigating interesting technologies to bring ICON’s vision of 1 Billion homes built in our lifetimes to fruition. This role reports to the Director of Mobile Robot Hardware, and is based out of ICON’s Austin, TX campus.
- Join a technical team in the development of robotic platforms, and intelligent systems for construction applications, as an individual contributor, investigator, and researcher.
- Research, Develop, and Integrate modern methods of autonomy, robotics, and data into new robot platforms.
- Design and create prototypes using in-house and external fabrication.
- Progress development of systems through product commercialization.
- Provide hands-on, troubleshooting, process, and manufacturing support as well as designing, implementing, and integrating solutions in a fast-paced environment with a quick development cycle.
- Create design solutions utilizing engineering methods with good documentation processes.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. Transition from office work to field work).
- Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall company Objectives and Key Results.
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Robotics, Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degrees are a plus.
- 5+ years of experience designing, prototyping, and fielding autonomous systems, robotic systems, and/or applicable projects in a professional environment. (Highly applicable academic research, may constitute part of this experience)
- Proven record of engineering development delivering on-time milestones.
- Ability to use engineering principles creatively to solve difficult problems.
- Proficiency with ROS(2), AI tools, navigation/autonomy tools.
- Experience with data pipelines and cloud tools.
- Experience taking projects from prototype to product.
- Adept at communicating in a collaborative team environment and seeking optimal solutions with other team members.
- Ability to prioritize and stay cool in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Master’s Degree or higher education in applicable field.
- Technical Leadership skills and acting as a technical expert for cross functional teams.
- Creating and following through on professional development plans.
- Project Experience:
Developing and deploying mobile robot platforms and applications
3D printing systems
Developing systems for harsh environments
Construction systems, and processes
FEA and CFD Analysis
CAD design skills
Hardware selection and prototyping
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.
Something looks off?