Senior Construction Architect I
ICON is looking to add a Senior Construction Architect to the Architecture and Building Performance team. As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team, you will design, evaluate, and deliver world-class high-performance wall systems, enclosures, and buildings using ICON’s technology set. As an ICONIC, you will be a leader and direct contributor to the development of entirely novel approaches to high-performance buildings and you will have the opportunity to work with your team to advance humankind’s ability to provide dignified, affordable, resilient, and sustainable shelter to the world. This role is based at ICON’s Austin, TX campus and will report to the VP of Building Design & Performance.
- Contribute to the development of ICON’s concrete 3D-printed (C3DP) wall system to maximize human comfort, safety, experience, and sustainability
- Develop construction documents, wall assembly drawings, and building envelope details, with a focus on window and door systems, waterproofing, and weatherization
- Develop construction diagrams to effectively communicate construction sequencing for successful integration of building envelope components and building systems (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) in the field
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, and building & material science departments to determine best practices for achieving effective weatherization, resilient design, and high thermal performance of the printed wall system
- Assist in the experimentation of innovative wall profiles and configurations for future application in projects
- Review consultant drawings and details for design intent and successful interface with 3D-printed wall design and construction
- Evolve ICON’s drawing templates, organize ICONs detail library, and assist in the development of ICON’s wall catalog for application of wall systems in various climatic conditions
- Prioritize a list of ICON preferred materials and finishes to be incorporated into various projects, with a focus on sustainability
- Produce drawings to communicate design intent for research and development, and for submittal to various testing agencies for code compliance
- Coordinate with software engineers, print technicians, and construction operations to ensure successful implementation of wall construction in the field
- 8+ years of experience in complex, multi-disciplinary design and analysis projects
- Professional degree in Architecture from an accredited institution
- Proficiency in Revit, Rhino, Google Suite, hand sketching, and verbal communication
- Experience coordinating all phases of design (schematic design, design development, construction documents, and construction administration) with all disciplines (civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing)
- Experience producing and organizing construction documents for complex projects, with an emphasis on integrating building systems
- Strong experience in Construction Administration, including RFI and submittal review, and other general construction related correspondence
- Working knowledge of the International Residential (IRC) and Building (IBC) codes, ADA guidelines, fair housing act (FHA), principles of concrete design & construction, construction specifications, and test methods and standards associated with the testing of building envelope systems (AAMA/ASTM)
- Desire to work with a highly collaborative team, on a quickly evolving product, and in a fast paced environment
- Interest in sustainable design, curiosity for novel architectural technologies, and desire to perfect the craft of construction
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in Vray, Enscape, Navisworks, and Tekla/ Dynamo
- Experience in residential design and planning preferred
- LEED professional accreditation preferred
- Professional / Architectural license preferred
- Proactive problem-solving skills, strong organizational skills, and ability to multitask
- Understanding of architectural daylighting, thermal mass, and solar radiation impacts on a building. Proficiency in energy and daylight modeling software is highly desirable (e.g.DIVA, Radiance, IES)
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.