Senior Controls Engineer I
The ICON technology team is seeking Senior Controls Engineer I to join the Vulcan team in an effort to continuously develop our growing fleet of mobile large-scale construction systems. This role will report to the Manager, of Vulcan Programs and is based out of our Austin, TX campus.
- Design and develop controls architecture with a combination of real time and soft real time systems.
- Develop and maintain milestones and timelines for code releases with the coordination of product groups.
- Be accountable for the delivery of milestones on time.
- Program and debug complex control logic in structured text using TwinCAT.
- Architect controls component selection for current and future systems.
- Research and create a standardized architecture for using standardized controls, components and electrical standards for the organization.
- Create well-documented architecture decision documents regarding controls, electrical, and hydraulic systems.
- Create modular OO based code patterns that are well documented, structured, and easily maintained.
- Building relationships with external stakeholders and acts as a two-way interface between the software team and external stakeholders such as Product and UX teams.
- Proactive communication and escalation of code quality or related technical risks, issues and other relevant information.
- Architect communications controls and handshakes between supervisory systems and hard real time systems.
- Develop, maintain and extend fully simulated environments with unit testing along with creating fully automated test campaigns.
- Present and communicate change logs and releases in a format suitable for communication to upper level management and company wide.
- Actively participate in equipment design reviews and project status meetings with internal engineers/managers and external supplier managers and engineers.
- Direct and mentor engineers in best practices and patterns to create a consistent product among other controls engineers.
- Be the source of truth and authority for all controls related information.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. Transition from office work to field work at a moment's notice).
- Support systems operating in the field, both remotely and on site.
- 8+ years of relevant controls development experience with a bachelor's degree or or 6+ years with a master's degree.
- 3+ years of experience working specifically with TwinCAT 3 (or other relevant real-time control systems).
- Object oriented programming in structured text.
- Travel is minimal, however, the ability to travel (including international) on short notice is required.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong understanding of IP based computer networking.
- Proven track record of delivering projects to end users.
- Strong understanding of motion or process control techniques in real-time industrial systems.
- Innovative, driven, out of the box thinker, self-motivated to investigate and implement new ideas, and proactive in overcoming obstacles.
- A service oriented attitude when in a support role.
- Prior startup experience.
- TwinCAT 3 Object Oriented Structured Text development.
- C# or Python experience.
- Ability to read and contribute to electrical schematics.
- Self-starting attitude, excited to make things happen in new and ambiguous situations.
- Superior ability to influence and collaborate with senior management and work across all levels of the organization.
- Must be prepared to work in extreme environments, including temperatures above 100 degrees or below freezing, sun, rain, and muddy conditions.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.