Salary: $120,000- $145,000, depending on experience
Red 6's Mission
To build the best in-flight Augmented Reality flight training system in the world, and to create the most effective combat pilots on the planet.
As a Mechanical Engineer at Red 6, you will set the architectural direction of the design, do the detailed CAD work, follow parts through manufacturing, and assemble units for evaluation. This requires an understanding of the interdisciplinary needs of the various teams you will be interacting with. The work will include translating high-level requests and communication into actionable hardware direction, working with key stakeholders to ensure agreement on the proposed solution and generating the necessary documentation to facilitate implementation, such as BOMs, assembly instruction, schedules, and issue trackers.
- Lead mechanical engineering activities in cross-functional team environment
- Develop display module mechanical drawings and spec, review and approve vendor design proposals
- Gather and develop component level design requirements and specifications with stakeholders across all disciplines
- Perform R&D to determine the optimal technology within product cost restraints
- Provide system-level design for products in development. Work with leads across disciplines to identify guidelines and requirements for system level component specifications
- Apply engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas such as Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control
- Lead and hold engineering design reviews
- Lead and drive design improvements to address reliability/usability issues as reported by customers
- Collaborate cross-functionally with teammates across disciplines to deliver new products
- Take prototypes to increasing levels of fidelity, and work with the product focused engineers to translate early prototypes into potential product directions
- Work with the Project Management team to create product schedules and manage the design development accordingly
- Simulation, modeling, design and test project development
- Troubleshooting board issues and implementing tests at system level
- Provide technical guidance to other team members in issue resolution and product development
- Development test plan creation to ensure compliance with applicable industry standards
- System and sub-system design, modeling, and prototyping
- Structural analysis with hand calculation and FEA analysis
- Design for manufacturing and production
- Production drawings applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Provide status reports and support documentation
- Conduct advanced material and processing techniques for cross-disciplinary mechanical, optical, electrical system components
- 5+ years of product design/prototyping experience, with a combination of focus in areas of precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical systems, and optics
- 5+ years of experience in a hands-on Engineering/Design role in a multi-disciplinary team with experience in consumer electronics and product development, having collaborated with Industrial Design, Engineering and Research teams to identify and solve complex design and UX challenges
- Strong DFM/DFA skills, with emphasis on part/assembly tolerance management, to ensure robust designs
- Knowledge of various manufacturing methods and rapid prototyping processes
- Experience in microelectronics design, thermal design, and fabrication. Understanding of module level trade-offs between mechanical, optical and electrical performance
- Experienced in generating mechanical test procedure
- Experience with PCB/PCBA flex circuit mechanical integration
- Experience preserving Industrial Design artistic intent in mechanical design implementation
- Experience with designing for high levels of dust/water ingress protection
- Knowledgeable in design of plastic injection molded part designs, electro-mechanical integration, adhesive bonded joints, metal stamped parts designs, die-cast part designs, and machined part designs
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of prototype development processes, including any/all of the following: rapid prototyping, 3D printing, CNC machining, molding, casting, electrical prototyping, electromechanical integration and working models with rigorous cosmetic and aesthetic requirements, production-level finishes
- CAD experience: complex mechanical systems, electrical assemblies, surfacing. Solidworks is preferred
- Integrate PCBs and electrical assemblies into mechanical systems
- Qualified candidate must have the ability to obtain a security clearance. This requires U.S. Citizenship
Preferred / Additional Skills
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience with landed innovative technologies in successful consumer electronics products. R&D experience in early conceptual stages
- Experience with battery construction, printed circuit board assembly, flexible printed circuit design rules, interconnects, thermal requirements, electromagnetic interference, electrostatic discharge, and radio frequency principles
- Familiar with optical principles (lenses, mirrors, optical coatings, and light properties)
- Tolerancing techniques and design requirements in optics, opto-mechanics, and motion control mechanisms
- AR/VR products and technologies
- Optical systems
- Experience with various production techniques (plastic injection molding, casting, MIM, machining)
- FEA, CFD, etc.
Red 6 reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations.
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Red 6 has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment.
Red Six Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Red 6 Aerospace, Inc. operating company you are applying to work for (hereinafter, “we”, “our”, or “us”) may collect personal information and use it for certain business purposes as described below in this Job Applicant and Employee Privacy Notice. We are required to disclose the following information to California “consumers” regarding our collection of their personal information. Under the CCPA, “consumers” means California residents, including job applicants, employees, or contractors of a business.