Principal Mechanical Engineer
Salary: $140,000- $170,000, depending on experience
Red 6's Mission
To build the best in-flight Augmented Reality flight training system in the world, and to create the most effective combat pilots on the planet.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Principal Mechanical Engineer to lead the Mechanical Engineering design of revolutionary augmented reality products. In this position, you will have a pivotal role in guiding and executing the design of advanced products, ensuring technical excellence, and fostering innovation. You will guide and mentor a team of talented engineers, collaborate with cross-functional teams, and contribute significantly to the development of cutting-edge products.
- This role spans the entire spectrum of product design, from concept development, prototyping and testing, CAD and FEA analysis, to detailed design, product qualification, and LRIP production
- Lead and mentor a team of mechanical engineers, providing technical guidance, design leadership, and fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment
- Integrating electronic equipment, sensors, optics, cameras, etc. into complex, high performance hardware systems
- Design products to pass rigorous military standards for land, sea, and airborne vehicles
- Conduct thermal and structural analyses to validate and optimize designs for performance and reliability
- Maintain industrial design intent, ensuring that mechanical solutions align with aesthetic goals and user experience requirements
- Produce high fit and finish parts, paying meticulous attention to detail, craftsmanship, and quality
- Work with cutting-edge materials and manufacturing processes to push the boundaries of what is achievable in product design
- Design intricate mechanisms to enable and enhance product functionality
- Collaborate closely with contract manufacturers to ensure seamless translation of product designs into production
- Design and lead fabrication of test and assembly fixtures as needed
- Review vendor capabilities to make supplier selections
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or directly related field
- 10+ years of hands-on mechanical product design experience, with a proven track record of successful project leadership
- Proficiency in CAD software (SolidWorks Preferred) and other relevant engineering tools
- Consumer electronics design experience in a majority of these areas: industrial design, optics and lenses, cameras, sensors, displays, PCBs and flexes, sensors
- Demonstrated ability to interpret product requirements documents to make design decisions that meet the requirements while providing an exceptional end-user experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a relentless attention to detail
- Creative and collaborative problem solver with experience in failure analysis and root cause investigation of multi-disciplinary problems
- Experience in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, and detailed drawings a must
- Demonstrated experience in the design and development of complex mechanical systems
- Experience designing for weight reduction and structural optimization a plus
- Experience using cutting edge engineering materials and manufacturing processes in production products
- Detailed knowledge of engineering fundamentals in solid mechanics, material science, heat transfer, mechanism design
- Experience transitioning military hardware from prototype to demo flight to EMD to Qualification and Production a PLUS
- Knowledge of design for manufacturability, assembly, and reliability
- Experience engaging with manufacturers through all phases of the product lifecycle
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively convey complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Receptive to feedback and ability to learn/adapt quickly in a dynamic environment
- A strong sense of ownership
- Qualified candidate must have the ability to obtain a security clearance. This requires U.S. Citizenship
- Must be able to commute or move to Louisville, Colorado. On-site work required (relocation negotiable)
Red 6 reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations.
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Red 6 has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment.
Red Six Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Red 6 Aerospace, Inc. operating company you are applying to work for (hereinafter, “we”, “our”, or “us”) may collect personal information and use it for certain business purposes as described below in this Job Applicant and Employee Privacy Notice. We are required to disclose the following information to California “consumers” regarding our collection of their personal information. Under the CCPA, “consumers” means California residents, including job applicants, employees, or contractors of a business.